Smoked Beef Short Rib with Bourbon Porter BBQ Sauce
Credit: BBQ School
- 1 Rack Beef Short Ribs (4 points) Bourbon and Porter Beer
- Bourbon 350ml Porter Beer
- 1 bottle BBQ Sauce 300g
- (Texas Crutch) Foil/ Grease proof paper/ butter/ beer
Beef Rib Spice Rub
- ¼ cup Paprika
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat your smoker to 150oC with Redheads charcoal and solid smoking wood.
- Prepare spice rub by combining ingredients – set aside.
- Prepare ribs by removing the membrane and rubbing generously with mix.
- Add to your smoker and smoke for 5 to 6 hours – checking fire / temperature / smoke as you go.
- Whilst smoking reduce bourbon in a thick bottom pan, burning off alcohol until a syrup, add porter and reduce to a glaze, add Smokey BBQ sauce and mix. Set aside.
- After 5 to 6 hours – remove ribs and “Texas Crutch” the ribs but wrapping securely in foil and greaseproof paper with 100g butter and a good splash of beer. Add back to the smoker and finish cooking for about 3 hours or until tender to the touch. Ideally the rib holds well together but you could remove the bone if needed (tender).
- For the last 15 minutes open the foil wrap to expose the rib to re-bark (re-texture / crisp) then add to your plate. Generously coat in sauce and enjoy!